Petition Guide and On-Line Form
Petition Deadline is February 1st of each Season
Any Member in good standing has the right to ‘Petition’ for an exception to our stated Certification Policies
- Skipping a level of certification
- Sitting multiple exams in a single season
- Transferring in from a Foreign Qualification.
Petitioning members must show an extremely high level of competency in the discipline that they are challenging to be considered qualified applicants for the Petition Process.
Below is from the PSIA/AASI-W Policies and Procedures Manual
Section 3.2 a: Foreign Certification: A member who holds a Foreign Certification challenge the PSIA/AASI-W certification process
- Level 1 Foreign Certified Instructors can go directly to the PSIA/AASI Level 2 of the same discipline
- Level 2-3 Foreign Certified Instructors can challenge the same level (or a lower level, if preferrred), but cannot ‘hopscotch’ to the next level. For example, a Canadian Level 2 can register for the PSIA/AASI Level 1 or 2. If the candidate is not succesful he/she will be assinged Registered member status, but will not hold any certification with PSIA/AASI-W.
- Level 2 Foreign Certified Instructors who want to skip PSIA/AASI-W Level 2 must petition for permission.
Section 3.2 b: Compressed Certification: A member who has achieved of high level of skiing/riding in National or International competition, or has other experience or background that would give them a high chance of success may petition for a ‘compressed’ certification (i.e. attempting both the Level 1 and Level 2 exams in the same season) Additionally a member who has achieved USSA 300 Level Coaching certification can petition to skip PSIA/AASI-W Level 1 and can move directly to Level 2 Certification.
Petitioner Check List
- Petitions must be submitted using the form below (or in writing)
- Petition Deadline is February 1st of each season.
- PSIA/AASI dues must be paid and current prior to petitioning.
- The petitioner must be a member in good standing with PSIA/AASI-W.
- The petitioner must be currently working at as a Professional Ski or Snowboard Instructor.
- The petitioner must show the qualities and traits of a successful candidate with reasonable promise of attaining the standards required for the level of Certification being petitioned. An endorsement from a current Western Division Tech Team Member in the appropriate discipline attesting to the candidate’s commitment to a training program and probable readiness for the Exam Level being challenged is REQUIRED.
- Petitioner should be enrolled in an on going training program that is registered with PSIA/AASI-W or equivalent.
- The Official Petition Form and any needed attachments from a current Western Division Tech Team Member endorsing the candidate’s commitment to a training program and probable readiness for the Exam Level being challenged need to be completed by a current Tech Team Member and submitted to the office by Feb. 1.
- COVER LETTER- The petitioner must write a letter of introductory to the Divisional Discipline Chair stating the candidate’s justification for why they should be allowed to challenge the given level of certification and any other petitioning needs; please be thorough yet concise.
If a petitioner does not meet these minimum criteria they must address and justify each point of deficiency in their petition letter.
For questions about this process, contact PSIA/AASI Office – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org